Textbooks for Executive J.D. Program 1Ls - Summer 2020
Purchasing Books for the Summer 2020 Semester
Listed on this page are some ways of purchasing your required and recommended books for class. This list includes both print and electronic versions (if available) of your books.
You are not required to purchase or rent them from the Gonzaga Bookstore (Zag Shop); however, that might be the most efficient way to go about getting your books. As an undergrad, you probably purchased or rented textbooks online via Amazon, Chegg, Valore Books, Textbooks.com, et al. and you can certainly do that in law school.
A few caveats. It is a huge mistake to not purchase your required books. It is also inadvisable to purchase an older edition because they might be cheaper, so please get the correct edition for required books. Use the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) to order your books. The ISBN is the unique identifier for individual book titles and editions. If you are purchasing online, make sure the ISBN and edition match up. As you know, give yourself some time for shipping when ordering print books. Generally, electronic books are immediately downloadable. Many sellers ship print books “media mail” and that can take up to 2 weeks.
In some instances, books (casebooks) may be on back-order even by the Gonzaga Bookstore. In those situations, you might want to let your professor know and there may be a possibility of the professor putting up the first week of reading assignments on Blackboard, TWEN (The West Education Network), or whatever course management system that they are using.
Unlike many undergrad classes, in law school you start reading your books prior to your first class and you are expected to participate on the first day of class.
List of First Year Books for Summer 2020
This list was retrieved from the Gonzaga Bookstore's website. Please confirm these titles at the Gonzaga Bookstore.
Legal Methods & Jurisprudence - Fr. Bryan Pham J.D., Ph.D., S.J. - Law 1411 A1
1. Stephen E. Gottlieb, Brian Bix, Timothy D. Lytton & Robin L. West, Jurisprudence Cases and Materials: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Law and Its Application, 3rd edition (2015). ISBN 978-1632809612 & e-ISBN 978-0327178309.
Published by Carolina Academic Press through LexisNexis - Jurisprudence Cases and Materials: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Law and Its Application, 3rd edition (2015).
Legal Research & Analysis (Legal Research & Writing I - Executive J.D.) - Professor Patrick J. Charles M.L.S., J.D. - Law 1032 A1
1. The Bluebook: Uniform System of Citation, 20th edition (2015). ISBN 978-0692400197.
Published by The Columbia Law Review Association, Inc., The Harvard Law Review Association, the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, and The Yale Law Journal Company, Inc. - The Bluebook: Uniform System of Citation, 20th edition (2015).
2. Amy E. Sloan, Researching the Law: Finding What You Need When You Need It, 3rd edition (2020). ISBN 978-1543813364.
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Amy E. Sloan, Researching the Law: Finding What You Need When You Need It, 3rd edition (2020).
3. Helen Shapo, et al., Writing and Analysis in the Law, 7th edition (2018). ISBN 978-1683282372.
Published by West Academic - Helen Shapo, et al., Writing and Analysis in the Law, 7th edition (2018).
You will also be using this book in Legal Research & Writing II in the fall semester, so you need to keep it for two semesters.
Accounting and Finance for Lawyers - Professor Andrew Brajcich J.D., L.L.M., C.P.A. - Law 1121 A1
1. Brian P. Bring, Finance and Accounting for Lawyers (2011). ISBN: 978-1935081715.
Published by Business Valuation Resources - Brian P. Bring, Finance and Accounting for Lawyers (2011).
Leadership for Lawyers - Dean Jacob Rooskby J.D., Ph.D. - Law 1801 A1
1. Deborah L. Rhode, Leadership for Lawyers, 3rd edition (2020). ISBN 978-1543820010.
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Deborah L. Rhode, Leadership for Lawyers, 3rd edition (2020).
2. Chris Lowney, Heroic Leadership: Best Practices from a 450-Year-Old Company That Changed the World (2005). ISBN 978-0829421156.
Published by Loyola Press - Chris Lowney, Heroic Leadership: Best Practices from a 450-Year-Old Company That Changed the World (2005).
Statistics and Data Analysis for Lawyers - Dr. Mirjeta Beqiri, Ph.D. - Law 1601 A1
1. Michael O. Finkelstein and Bruce Levin, Statistics for Lawyers (Statistics for Social and Behavioral Sciences), 3rd Edition (2015). ISBN 978-1493979240 or eBook ISBN978-1441959843.
Purchasing from Online Booksellers
Purchasing Books from the Gonzaga Bookstore (Zag Shop)
Chastek Library, Gonzaga University School of Law | 721 N. Cincinnati St. Spokane, WA 99220-3528 | 509.313.3758